Monday 11 April 2016

Becoming a 'real' adult

Readers,

 I'm not sure whether I'm the only one feeling this way, or whether others in my position feel the same, but since moving out of my parents' house and into university halls last September, I can't help but feel extremely overwhelmed by the prospect of being a 'real' adult.
 At first the whole thing was exciting, as you can imagine. Moving into a flat with three strangers was a bit scary, but the idea of freedom, true freedom, greatly enthused me. After a month or so, however, the novelty of cooking and cleaning for myself had definitely worn off, and I began to miss the leisure of home life, as no doubt many hungry students do!
 And now here I am, seven months later, nearly at the end of my first year of uni, and I'm feeling like I'm constantly filled with anxiety. I've put down a deposit for a flat next year, I'm paying tax, I'm having meetings with 'real' adults and I'm having real life problems such as the shower head breaking, and my mum isn't here to sort any of this out for me! Call me naive, but I thought that these pangs of fret and the constant nerves would have withered away by now, that I'd be used to being an adult? Evidently not.
 So I leave this here with the question that dominates my life, does this feeling ever go away - will I ever become a 'real' adult?
 Feel free to comment on anything discussed in this post, and I'll be back with more soon.

Charlie X 

No comments:

Post a Comment